Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 19:37:02 +0200

Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 18:53:42 +0200
Cc: stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org, john@yates-sheets.org, rms@gnu.org,
  fgunbin@fastmail.fm, casouri@gmail.com, sbaugh@janestreet.com,
  emacs-devel@gnu.org, azeng@janestreet.com
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>

There is also the issue of having those files generated and saved to
appropriate files. If I run 'etags -o TAGS', I might not expect that
additional files will appear. Or existing ones -- overwritten.

That's not what I had in mind.  I thought we'd run etags several
times, as in

   etags --enums-only -o TAGS.enum
   etags --decls-only -o TAGS.decl

etc.

Okay. That sounds like additional hassle for the users, though.

OTOH, having those in a single file will need Xref to cope with
multiple matches, something that currently we largely avoid.  You'd
have the same symbol mentioned once for declaration, another time for
definition, perhaps yet another time for interface, etc.

We already support duplicates, don't we?

Only when there's no way around that, and we consider that unfortunate
when it does happen.

Sure.

But whether we will show duplicates to the user, in any scenario, shouldn't depend on how we store information (in multiple files or not), only on what we do with it.