Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2023 08:13:13 +0200

> Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 22:15:18 +0200
> Cc: stephen_leake@stephe-leake.org, john@yates-sheets.org, rms@gnu.org,
>  fgunbin@fastmail.fm, casouri@gmail.com, sbaugh@janestreet.com,
>  emacs-devel@gnu.org, azeng@janestreet.com
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>
> On 08/03/2023 21:49, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > If all the rest are also okay with such a change, then yes,
> > this obstacle is down.
>
> Hmm, tag-implicit-name-match-p uses the $ anchor in its regexp (line
> 1652), seemingly unnecessarily. That condition can break.
>
> I suppose that we could ensure to only produce explicit tags when kinds
> are added.
>
> Or add a new switch to etags which would add kinds, default to off. Then
> the new feature would be supported (by etags backend) only for users who
> made sure to generate that info.

Maybe an easier way would be to have separate tags files for each
supported category (e.g., one for declarations and prototypes, one for
definitions, etc.).  Then we don't need to change the format of the
tags file, only make changes in etags, and instruct etags.el to load
the relevant file as needed.

The list of categories provided by universal-ctags is quite long, but
I think we only need to support a small subset of that for our
purposes, right?  That would mean perhaps 3 or 4 separate tags files,
which might not be unreasonable.