Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2023 08:11:29 +0200

> Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 00:24:01 +0200
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, rms@gnu.org, fgunbin@fastmail.fm,
>  casouri@gmail.com, sbaugh@janestreet.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>  azeng@janestreet.com
> From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
>
> Now, the next question is will we be able to provide some implementation
> of this method using one of the default backends?
>
> elisp -- probably not.
>
> Can we have one for 'etags'? Even if we just limit it to a pre-defined
> set of languages?

For C-like languages, we'd need to run "etags --declarations" on *.h
files for that, I think.  And the resulting TAGS table will have stuff
other than just declarations, so we'd need some way of distinguishing
between them and the rest.

Alternatively, perhaps it should be possible to add a special
command-line option (--declarations-only ?) to etags, to cause it to
output tags only for declarations.