Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: Adding support for xref jumping to headers/interfaces
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2023 18:40:58 -0500

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 5:09 PM Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

> Having a common binding and a common xref backend method to dispatch to
> simplifies things. The major modes which don't have the notion of
> 'declaration' will have options: do nothing (and simply have the command
> return an error), or rebind the keys to a different command.

For languages that do not distinguish declaration from definition,
another alternative is to have both key bindings reference the same
find-definition functionality.

As a user, I suspect that I would find that easier to master and
remember as I switch from one language to another.  Rebinding to a
different command feels hacky, and special case.  I fear, if that
option exists, different languages will bind it to entirely different
functionalities, exactly the phenomenon I would hope we are trying to
avoid.