Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching

From: Michael Welsh Duggan
Subject: Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:27:34 -0500

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Thuna <thuna.cing@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It is extremely unlikely for someone to know what their last non-visible
>> buffer is, especially after accounting for other frames and windows.
>
> I find it sufficient to take a quick glance at the frame I'm currently
> working on.  Further more, multiple frame workflows are reasonably rare,
> and even more so the workflows where some frames aren't visible at any
> given time.
>
> And please don't change the behaviour of `switch-to-buffer' in such a
> drastic manner.  People are used to it as it is.

On the other hand, I've hated the current behavior for years (as does a
colleague of mine), and it is not an easy behavior to patch in one's
local emacs, as it is buried too deeply.  I would like some way to patch
this without having to copy the innards of read-buffer-to-switch.  I
personally think that Thuna's patch is ideal, since it doesn't change
the current behavior by default but makes it easy for those of us who
want it to change to do so.  But I would take any change that makes it
easier to patch in what we consider more desirable behavior.

--
Michael Welsh Duggan
(md5i@md5i.com)