Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:14:02 +0200

> From: Thuna <thuna.cing@gmail.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 10:48:08 +0300
>
> If the proposal is rejected on this basis, I would like to revise it
> from "introducing an option to change the behavior of switch-to-buffer"
> to "changing the behavior of switch-to-buffer".
>
> It is extremely unlikely for someone to know what their last non-visible
> buffer is, especially after accounting for other frames and windows.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but "C-x b" shows the buffer
it would switch to in the prompt, and AFAIU that is the "last
non-visible buffer" to which you allude above, right?

> People are better off typing the name of the buffer they want to visit.

I'd think Emacs users are well familiar with the history feature, and
are using M-p and M-n frequently, instead of actually typing the
buffer names.  I only type the buffer name if several M-p's and M-n's
don't bring them up.