Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching

From: Thuna
Subject: Re: Allow controlling the effect of visibility on buffer switching
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 16:46:32 +0300

> Thanks, but why do we need such an option, given that we have
> buffer-change history, and so the visible buffers are usually just a
> couple of keystrokes away, like M-n?

If a buffer is open in multiple windows and one of these windows is
momentarily switched off of to look at something else, it is unintuitive
for buffer switching to default to a non-visible buffer instead of the
previously open buffer.  More often than not, a quick [C-x b RET] is,
and should be, sufficient for switching buffers.  Forcing the user to
actively choose the buffer they want introduces unnecessary burden which
can be a significant source of distraction over time.