Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 22:16:00 +0100

Hi Corwin :-)

Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 3:51 PM H. Dieter Wilhelm
> <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> wrote:
>> Corwin Brust <corwin@bru.st> writes:
>> >
>> > https://git.sr.ht/~mplscorwin/emacs-w64/tree/master/item/with-native-compilation
>> >
>> > Would you be able to try again with this version of
>> > emacs-28.0.91-installer.exe?
>> > In fact, all of the packages in the linked folder should work now AFAIK.
>>
>> I can't find libgmp-10.dll in your emacs-28.0.91.zip archive and when I
>> run the installer - on a system without MSYS/MinGW - it still bails out
>> because of the missing libgmp-10.dll.
>
> I've pushed new versions.  I was able to test the new installer.exe on
> my son's gaming rig, so I'm rather confident that, at least, works.

So you installed Doom-Emacs? ;-)

In earnest: I could start Emacs from the installer, great. :-)

Then I checked it with M-x list-packages and received the following
*Messages*:

  gnutls.c: [1] (Emacs) GnuTLS library not found [4 times]
  Package refresh done

I don't know how important this is, though.  I'm wondering if we could
automate such build testing with existing ert tests?

Some more observations (no criticism).

Signing: When I check the downloads gpg says:

  Good signature. Warning: This key is not certified with a trusted
  signature!

Would it help, be appear more trustful, when I sign your key?

Size: Your installer and emacs-28.0.91 builds are smaller than Phil's.
I assume you didn't copy the source code?

Installation tree: I've seen that you skipped the x86_64 branch.

> I hope someone with a working msys can confirm that this supports
> native-compilation when msys+libgccjit is available.

I'm sorry, forgot to check it on my MSYS machine, will do tomorrow.

And now for something else: Would you expect it to be problematic when
we build on Windows10 for Windows11 or vice versa?

Have a nice evening

     Dieter
--
Best wishes