Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 12:52:02 +0000

"H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:48:31 +0000
>>> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
>>> So, I think there will only be a single uninstaller. Uninstalling will
>>> remove all versions of Emacs because it just deletes the INSTDIR.
>
> I can confirm this (for Emacs-27 releases, side-by-side) there's then
> only one uninstaller (left?) and it will remove the complete Emacs tree
> per default (optionally, I think, it offers to remove parts of the
> tree).

Currently, I think, the installer doesn't offer to uninstall the
previous version, although I have only tested it on wine. I would have
assumed it did.

So, we have an half-and-half world at the moment. It doesn't install
multiple versions cleanly, nor does the "update to a new version"
functionality work cleanly. You have to uninstall the old one first.

None of this will result in an unfunctional Emacs, so it's not a
disaster. But I think it should do or the other.

Phil