Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:48:31 +0000

From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,  corwin@bru.st,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 13:51:28 +0100

The release number appears under the share\ folder.

c:\
  |- Program Files\
     |- Emacs\
        |- x86_64\
           |- share\
              |- emacs\
                 |- 27.1
                 |- 27.2

You should also see a versioned subdirectory under libexec.  (And with
Emacs 28, also under lib.)

This is normal, and has nothing to do with the Windows installer.
It's how the Emacs installation tree looks on all platforms.

Hmmm.

As you say, installing multiple versions side-by-side works fine and does not need to have a version number in the install directory. ("C:\Program Files\Emacs"). Actually, the "x86_64" is
not needed now, but I guess I left that in for backward compatibility.

But, the uninstall section looks like this:

Section "Uninstall"

  # Always delete uninstaller first
  Delete "$INSTDIR\Uninstall.exe"

  # now delete installed directory
  RMDir /r "$INSTDIR"
  RMDir "$INSTDIR"

  !insertmacro MUI_STARTMENU_GETFOLDER Application $StartMenuFolder

  Delete "$SMPROGRAMS\$StartMenuFolder\Uninstall.lnk"
  RMDir "$SMPROGRAMS\$StartMenuFolder"
SectionEnd

So, I think there will only be a single uninstaller. Uninstalling will remove all versions of Emacs because it just deletes the INSTDIR. Likewise, there is a single start menu item which will overwrite the last installed Emacs.I guess this makes sense. In windows land, installing Emacs-28 would be expected to remove Emacs-27. If all older versions of Emacs get left behind, that would generally be considered a bug. I don't remember whether NSIS runs the previous uninstaller first, that might be checked.

So, side-by-side installation will work but it's not by design and while the installer supports it, the uninstaller will not respect it.

My feeling is, therefore, the current set up is correct. If you want to run multiple versions of Emacs, use the zip file.

Phil