byte-compile-warn in do-after-load-evaluation - a bug?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: byte-compile-warn in do-after-load-evaluation - a bug?
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 17:28:39 +0000

Hello, Emacs,

in master (at least), in do-after-load-evaluation (subr.el), the code
uses byte-compile-warn to output an error message.  This seems wierd,
since there's no mention of the byte compiler anywhere near.

Might it be that somebody not having a good day just used that function
thinking it was a general purpose warning function?

The problem with it is that it uses an implicit (compilation) source
position in the message it outputs.  There is no compilation going on at
the moment.

Unless I've misunderstood something, I propose to replace this call of
byte-compile-warn with simply message.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).