Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:34:32 +0200

> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:36:26 +0000
> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk
>
> Has anyone else seen a regression in bootstrap compilation speed?
>
> I am currently building Emacs-28 trunk. I am still on the
> bootstrap-emacs phase after half an hour or so and am getting no more
> than 2 or 3 ELC+ELN steps complete per minute, with a parallel build.

With "make -j4" recompiling natively all the preloaded files and their
dependencies on the emacs-28 branch, I see this:

  . compiling the 16 COMPILE_FIRST files takes 22 min, with comp.el
    being the worst offender: about 20 minutes
  . compiling all the rest of the preloaded files takes an additional
    25 minutes

If someone can compare this with past versions, maybe we could see if
the slowdown is real.

Thanks.