Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Native compilation on Windows, was Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 09:39:34 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> I could build Gnu-Emacs-28.0.91 when I used the archived sources
>>
>>   $ ./configure --with-native-compilation
>>
>> The difference to the build-zips.sh seems to me some more options from
>> the script (and that is build from the git tree):
>>
>>         echo [build] Configuring Emacs
>>         $REPO_DIR/$BRANCH/configure \
>>             --without-dbus \
>>             --without-compress-install \
>>             --with-native-compilation \
>>             $CACHE \
>>             CFLAGS="$CFLAGS"
>>
>> Could it be that these additional options are spoiling the build?
>> (CACHE=-C , I think.)
>
> I'd drop the CACHE part, so that the configure script starts from a
> clean state.

I wouldn't!

CACHE=-C is used only on a snapshot build. These were always built
incrementally from the previous version because I judged that the risk
of a broken build was small compared to the significant time and cost
saving that the incremental build provided. A full build is easy to
achieve by simply deleting the build tree, as build-zips does an
out-of-tree. Reconfiguring requires deleting the config.cache as well.

Full release builds are built from a clean tree. The time saving is less
important there.

Phil