Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: Bootstrap Compilation Speed
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:16:16 +0000

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 11:36:26 +0000
From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk

Has anyone else seen a regression in bootstrap compilation speed?

I am currently building Emacs-28 trunk. I am still on the
bootstrap-emacs phase after half an hour or so and am getting no more
than 2 or 3 ELC+ELN steps complete per minute, with a parallel build.

How many parallel jobs did you allow Make to have?  And on what OS is
this?

Also, do you see this slow compilation only for the first few files,
before comp.el is natively-compiled, or even after that?

Ubuntu 20.04. I tried both single threaded (so I could see how long individual files take) and my normal build (-j 20). Again, based on my ad hoc experience rather than any careful measurement, it was for all the elc+eln using bootstrap-emacs. Once emacs proper was generated, things went rather more quickly and upto my expectations.

It's probably something local to me. I thought to mention it here because I think we still do not have good metrics set up for bootstrap build speed performance.

Phil