Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: LdBeth
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 13:41:47 +0800

jao> On Fri, Dec 24 2021, Po Lu wrote:

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> So I can hardly imagine a typical Emacs user that could make a big
>> issue about the menus or dialogs being a bit different from what his
>> platform's standard ones are, as long as the replacement is not ugly
>> ("ugly" in the sense the motif menu is ugly compared to Lucid and
>> GTK.)
>
> The Lucid menu was mostly designed after the Motif menu.  They also look
> mostly identical.  Anyway, the reason support for those toolkits was
> added is that people care for them, and that's also why nobody uses the
> no-toolkit build anymore.

jao> i use it.  and have been using it for the last 20 years.  i want an
jao> emacs with graphical capabilities but i don't use any toolkit element
jao> ever.

jao> i wish you'd be as nice with the non-toolikit option as you've been with
jao> the motif one, if possible.

jao> thanks,
jao> jao
jao> --
jao> There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to
jao> treat them as whole truths that plays the devil. -Alfred Whitehead

Same situtation here. I'm using Emacs on a nearly 20 years old laptop
with Gentoo Linux. I don't use any other GUI programs other than Emacs
and a terminal emulator, nor any GUI toolkit element for Emacs.  It's
just I don't like to compile and install GTK for solely a GUI build of
Emacs.

Please continue to keeps the non-toolikit option, or at least consider
using a light weight toolkit. Thanks.
--
LDB