Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 13:50:12 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 10:55:03 +0100
> Cc: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>,
>  "xenodasein--- via Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> Anyway, this inspired me to have a look at the no-toolkit build of Emacs
> for the first time in years, and...  it's a bit rough.  There's no HiDPI
> support, apparently, so all the icons/menus look unusably tiny on this
> screen.  And the scroll bar apparently works the same as an xterm in
> 1989?  That is, left/right mouse clicks goes down/up, and you can't drag
> it at all.

That's no surprise: no one develops that configuration since it
exists.  So it's a kind-of vicious circle: this configuration doesn't
get any love because no one likes it, and no one likes it because it
doesn't get any love.

> So it's no wonder that few people are using that.  But if want to cater
> more to people that want Emacs to look the same on all operating
> systems, there's at least a base to start working from, because it seems
> to work fine otherwise.

Please note that the code still is full of Xlib calls, so making it
work on other systems will not be trivial.