Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 12:45:56 +0100

> But if want to cater
> more to people that want Emacs to look the same on all operating
> systems, there's at least a base to start working from, because it seems
> to work fine otherwise.

I don't use the platform's dialogs (they are a joke compared to what
Emacs provides) and can switch from Emacs-lucid on GNU/Linux to Emacs on
MS-Windows without perceptible psychic trauma. Well, actually, without
noticing.

About those people wanting Emacs to look "platform-native" (1):

If a new display backend makes possible new features which enhances
productivity (or even just aesthetics) it is reasonable to expect that
some of them will accept the change as a good trade-off. Furthermore, it
hopefully will attract new users which will provide an even stronger
stream of complaints on future changes.

And you can't keep everyone happy all the time. We all know that the
slightest change on Emacs upsets someone, somewhere. This would be a
reason to stop development. But then the absence of change on Emacs also
upsets other people, so... you can't keep everyone happy all the time.

1: What is "platform-native" varies with each new major release of GTK
   and Windows.