Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Platform independent graphical display for Emacs
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 15:00:42 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
>> So I can hardly imagine a typical Emacs user that could make a big
>> issue about the menus or dialogs being a bit different from what his
>> platform's standard ones are, as long as the replacement is not ugly
>> ("ugly" in the sense the motif menu is ugly compared to Lucid and
>> GTK.)
>
> The Lucid menu was mostly designed after the Motif menu.  They also look
> mostly identical.

No, the Lucid menu here shows a nice, modern font, while the Motif menu
shows some pixelated thing from the eighties.

> Anyway, the reason support for those toolkits was
> added is that people care for them,

I'm sure that at some point the motif port was appreciated as an
improvement. I tried it when you reinstated the configure option, and it
was like going back 30 years. I saw no reason to prefer it to what I use
(Lucid), quite the contrary.