Re: Motif support

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Motif support
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 09:17:01 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:17:32 +0100 (CET)
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: xenodasein--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> You kinda have to use platform dependent features directly, as we
> are not programming into aether.  However, painting menus isn't one.
> You don't need a third-party solution, whether it is from platform itself
> like legacy win32 GUI elements or another library.  Using them is like
> using a sledgehammer to drive a nail in Emacs' case. We could even do
> the text rendering itself too, provided an expert would contribute it to
> Emacs.  But no one said let's do text rendering, AFAIK.

But we already have all that -- that's the X build without any
toolkits.  Almost no one uses it, because any toolkit version looks
much nicer, so we can conclude today what would be the result of your
suggestions.  Producing a good-looking GUI application is a lot of
low-level work, and suggesting that we do all or most of that "by
hand" is really a non-starter.