Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 08:37:22 +0200

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 15:49:15 -0500
>
> My point is that if policy is (clearly) written down, that makes
> everything else (including enforcement) easier.  I pointed out a
> shared value (i.e., including "subsystem" info in the summary)
> in the objections voiced by Stefan that i hope we (collectively,
> all of us) can agree on.  In this way, perhaps there is a way
> forward to avoid future conflict.

Including a subsystem in the summary line leaves less space for the
actual content, and that space is already at premium.  AFAIU, the
temptation to break the "standard" format is to some degree explained
by the fact that many "* file (func): Desc" descriptions are _almost_
short enough to act as their own summary line; your proposal will
disallow more of those, due to the need to state the subsystem there.

So it doesn't sound to me as an improvement, in general.

Thanks.