Re: File names in ChangeLog entries

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: File names in ChangeLog entries
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 00:43:35 -0600

On 01 Dec 2021, Stefan Kangas wrote:

As for the " (func)" I only put it there if there's room.

In cases where mentioning the function is particularly important, I'd
rather say

   function-name: Short description

Given that we prefer to include package prefixes in our symbols, it should also tell you something about where the function can be found.
In many cases, at least.

But as you say, it is hard to find hard rules, and some creativity will
inevitably be needed.

The main point, though, is the one you yourself made earlier:

There is a good reason to keep that first summary line as short as possible. Git often prints it prefixed by other information, in such a way that the summary line gets crammed against the right edge -- so if it's too long, it may wrap awkwardly or go off the screen.

You gave "git log --format=short" as an example, but an even more common situation in my experience is "git show-branch". I'll attach some output from that command to this email (as an actual text/plain attachment, to make absolutely sure the formatting is preserved, since the formatting is important here). If one looks at that output, one can see right away why having reliably short summary first-lines in the commit messages is useful.

Many free software projects have adopted a "50 characters, with no trailing dot" rule for that first line, to the point where programmers often treat it as a standard. (When we onboard new programmers at our company, for example, I find that they generally already know about this rule and expect us to be following it, which we are.) Emacs doesn't have to do things the way those other projects do, but I hope the above helps clarify why we might want to be more consistent about doing it that way.

Our CONTRIBUTE file does already say that 50 chars for the summary line is "nicer". (Although it gives that advice two points down from where we first mention the summary line, which is odd. I've attached a patch here that tries to improve this, and would appreciate others' review.)

Best regards,
-Karl