Re: Emacs development...

From: Konstantin Kharlamov
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 15:05:23 +0300

On Sat, 2021-08-21 at 16:50 +0900, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> > On Aug 21, 2021, at 16:16, Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:
> >
> > Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
> >
> > Hi Jean-Christophe,
> >
> > > Right now, I use C-h f to find the function definitions and move
> > > around the code.
> >
> > That, and also M-. on a function call or variable will bring you to its
> > definition.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Sorry for this very basic question, what's the best way to navigate back to
> where I was ?

Seems to me, you don't have a workflow yet for development in general through
Emacs. Because questions like "how to go to definition" and "how to go back"
aren't really specific to ELisp, it's something you'd use while working with
pretty much any language, be it C, Python, Haskell, C++, Rust… The only
question you asked specific to ELisp is about debugging ELisp code.

This is okay ofc, I'm just pointing it out because it might give you some ideas
on what to look for.

There's a popular opinion that default Emacs keybindings aren't the best, and
people usually reconfigure some of them as they find appropriate.

And there're many different workflows for code/text navigation in Emacs. For
example, I personally prefer using Evil plugin (a vim-mode inside Emacs, but it
actually had more features than the actual vim), and using C-o, C-i in "normal
mode" of Evil to go back and forth between locations in text. By default it may
switch buffers which I don't like, so I disabled that. "going to definition" I
personally bound to "gd" in normal mode of Evil. And then, inside a single file
there are usually multiple specific places that are of interest to me, so I set
marks to them with (again, keybinding specific to Evil) "m1", "m2", "m3"… i.e.
just enumerating them in an order I find interesting.

There's also "avy" package for faster navigation within the visible text
portions.

There are also Emacs "starter-kits" with lots of preconfigured stuff, e.g. Doom
Emacs I heard is very good (I never personally used it, because by the time it
became popular I already had a personalized configuration, however people seem
to like it).

So, yeah, for things non-specific to ELisp development (which is so far was
everything you mentioned except ELisp debugging), you just need to start trying
to do the development, and along the way to try to reflect "what I really wish
I was able to do right now". Stuff like autocompletion, seeing function help in
a minibuffer or elsewhere, going to definition… Whatever you think of, it is
probably implemented in Emacs (with or without plugins), so you just try to
search for it using your favorite search engine.