Re: Emacs development...

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 09:46:32 +0300

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org>
> Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 14:07:59 +0900
>
> It just occurred to me that there was no section in the manual dedicated to
> developing for emacs proper.

The ELisp Intro and the ELisp Reference are supposed to be it.

> Something like what the elisp intro is, but for general development.

What is the difference between "general development" and the other
kind (which presumably is covered in the Introduction)?

> For ex. is there a way to see the values of variables as I run the code, so
> that I don't need to modify the values of "message" here and there to have
> clues ?

See the chapter "Practicing Evaluation" in the ELisp Intro and
"Evaluation" in the ELisp Reference.

> What are the things I need to know and the basic steps to have a proper
> working environment to develop for emacs?

There are too many of them to answer such a general question.  It also
depends on your style of development.