Re: Emacs development...

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 10:26:08 +0900

> On Aug 22, 2021, at 8:09, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Jean-Christophe Helary <lists@traduction-libre.org> writes:
>
>>> On Aug 21, 2021, at 23:08, Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I would also recommend getting comfortable with ielm (M-x ielm), an
>>> Interactive Emacs Lisp Mode, as well as learning how to evaluate
>>> expressions in the source buffer.
>>
>> Thank you Tim for the suggestion. I like ielm a lot, when I use it.
>>
>> What I am trying to do now is fix a bug in package.el and I don't see how I
>> can
>> use ielm for that. Do you have suggestions ?
>
> It seems like you may be looking for a basic recipe for how you find and
> fix a bug in elisp.

Thank you Tim for your detailed reply.

I am myself guilty of replying to threads that I have not fully read so I won't
complain, but I did send a clarification mail after my very first super generic
mail, where I clearly stated that I was looking for a method to see how
variable values evolve over the running of some code.

It seems that the common answer to that is edebug, and I think I understand
what you mean by "it doesn't really help with understanding the logic and
intention of the code. It can help with understanding the ’mechanics’".

> - Emacs built-in help system (including using info effectively). Looking
>  up information about functions and variables, current configuration
>  settings, key bindings, finding relevant functions/variables etc.

I can do that. I'm using "inform" and "helpful" already and they are indeed
very helpful in finding extra info about functions, etc.

> - Using debug-on-error and debug-on-quit to generate backtraces -
>  essential tools to identify the point in the code where things go
>  wrong, allowing you to work backwards to find out why.

I just read their description and they'll probably be useful at one point but
since there is no "error" in the package.el code (in the meaning that an error
would stop the execution of the code, or produce something similar), I'm not
sure how I can use them for my purpose right now, but I'll keep them in mind.

> - emacs=lisp-mode - navigating around the code, finding definitions,
>  evaluating expressions etc

The suggestions I got about M-. and M-, were invaluable. They already
tremendously improved my navigation of the code.

> - ielm and *scratch* buffer in elisp mode - entering expressions, using
>  history, pasting and yanking code etc.

I do that already.

> - edebug - for stepping and tracing through code

I guess that's the one where I can see how values evolve.

> - gdb - for those rarer cases where you need to dive into low level C stuff

Unlikely.

> When trying to track down a bug, I find the most important first step is
> to try and identify the minimal recipe to reliably reproduce the issue.

In the case at hand, it is 100% reproducible, I mentioned it in a mail I sent
here with the title "package.el, a bug ? and a UX issue ?".

I've already fixed stuff in package.el in the past, mostly improper use of
strings, not bugs per se. I wanted to further improve on that when I found that
glaring bug that I'm surprised nobody noticed yet:

mark for upgrade with U
filter on marked with / m
remove the filter with / /
the marks for upgrade are gone.

generally speaking / / will remove any mark, not just upgrade ones. I guess the
fact that this bug has remained in the code for so longs says something about
how often the filter feature is used.

Thank you very much for the following paragraphs. They are an excellent
description of what debugging involves, which I have practiced in other
contexts (namely AppleScript stuff that I develop for myself) even if at a much
lower level.

I'm glad I started this thread.

Jean-Christophe

--