Re: Emacs development...

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Emacs development...
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 09:23:01 -0700

On 08/23/21 01:19 AM, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>> On Aug 23, 2021, at 1:04, Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> wrote:
>>
>> "T.V Raman" <raman@google.com> writes:
>>
>>> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>>>

>>> In addition to all you say below re IELM, the nugget of gold that makes
>>> it invaluable is its ability to  set the eval context buffer while
>>> remaining in the ielm buffer, see command bound to C-c b.
>>
>> Hey, that's great! I'd also been on the fence about the value of IELM
>> over the plain old *scratch* buffer, and that's a real advantage.
>>
>> To muddy the waters further, there's also the "emacs inspector"[1] which
>> provides another way of looking at objects and symbols. It doesn't help
>> with the original query about watching values change during execution,
>> though.
>
> But that makes me think that, I could possibly load package.el in ielm
> and run it from there, couldn't I ? And I'd have all the values right
> at hand, not quite like edebug I guess, but I could actually check
> their value inside ielm, right ?

Having only just learned about this feature, I'm not sure! But it
certainly sounds like you could set package.el as your "working" buffer
and operate there. Except that (depending on what it is you're
debugging) you might actually want to set *Packages* as your working
buffer, assuming that that's where the action is happening.