Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 12:05:00 +0200

On Thu, Aug 19, 2021 at 11:09:23AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 09:27:06 +0200
> > From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
> >
> > I agree that this problem hasn't a trivial (or unique) solution.
> > But this is something for distros to solve. Emacs has just to
> > provide the mechanisms to make that possible (and, as far as I
> > can see, it does).
>
> This discussion started when a distro came here asking for a change
> where Emacs already provides the mechanism to make that possible.

But perhaps, it's possible as it is. What distors want, one way or
another is to provide pre-compiled .eln files for the .el libraries
they provide. At the same time giving users a way to override some
of them locally.

If Emacs is capable to locate the correct .eln (as far as I have
understood now, it searches for the .el to resolve that), the
above should be possible, no?

For example, if the distro provides the .el (most probably those
will be compressed, as .el.gz, but I think that's a transparent
detail), the corresponding .elc and .eln) all would be well.

If a user wants to hack on a single .el, she would typically
copy that to a user controlled place [1] and the corresponding
.elc and .eln would also go to corresponding user-controlled
spaces and would, hopefully, override the system-provided ones,
if all `path' variables are set up correctly.

It could well be that I'm missing something important, though.

[1] She could (most of the time) also hack the files in-place,
   but updates would obliterate those changes.