Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:07:50 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org>
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 06:53:45 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> In the scenario I had in mind the *.el files (as well as the *.eln
> >> files) would be installed as part of a distro's Emacs package.  They
> >> would live somewhere under /usr where the user has no business.
> >
> > It is strange for a Free Software project to assume the user will
> > never want to modify the sources.
>
> I don't think that assumption is implied by making a system-wide install
> of a package in a location not writable by users.

That's not what I said or meant.  What I meant was that considering
the problem non-existent because this is how distros install the Lisp
files sounds strange to me, because it assumes no user will ever want
to modify these files enough to make them writable.  IOW, the
assumption that bothered me was that no one will ever want to modify
those files, e.g., to fix some bug or add a feature.

> Well, for emacs, you can also just copy and modify individual lisp files
> or functions, of course.

Exactly.  And then the problems I had in mind will rear their heads.