Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 06:53:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> In the scenario I had in mind the *.el files (as well as the *.eln
>> files) would be installed as part of a distro's Emacs package.  They
>> would live somewhere under /usr where the user has no business.
>
> It is strange for a Free Software project to assume the user will
> never want to modify the sources.

I don't think that assumption is implied by making a system-wide install
of a package in a location not writable by users.  By that logic, any
Free Software package should only be installed by having a VC checkout
in each user's HOME because any modification is mostly useless from a
practical perspective without either being able submitting a patch to
upstream or at least have a private branch one can use to incorporate
future upstream changes back into the modified version.

Well, for emacs, you can also just copy and modify individual lisp files
or functions, of course.

Bye,
Tassilo