Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 08:30:27 +0200

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 10:34:10PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     > > It is strange for a Free Software project to assume the user will
>     > > never want to modify the sources.
>     >
>     > I don't think that assumption is implied by making a system-wide install
>     > of a package in a location not writable by users.
>
>     That's not what I said or meant.  What I meant was that considering
>     the problem non-existent because this is how distros install the Lisp
>     files sounds strange to me, because it assumes no user will ever want
>     to modify these files enough to make them writable.  IOW, the
>     assumption that bothered me was that no one will ever want to modify
>     those files, e.g., to fix some bug or add a feature.
>
> Distros must provide a way to download the sources.

They actually do. At least those worth their salt :-)

>                                                   You could
> download the sources into your home directory, make your modified
> versions, and put them in a directory in load-path.

The topic being discussed is more of a convenience/organisational
thing: keeping those spaces where a distro update can overwrite
things separate from those where the user can count on things not
being overwritten.

On multi-user systems, there is the additional dimension of keeping
changes local to the system (made available by the sysadmin to all
users) separate from the distro.

> Does this solve the problem, in practical terms?

So we hope :-)

Cheers
 - t