Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2021 02:57:55 +0200

Yuri D'Elia <wavexx@thregr.org> writes:

> On Wed, Aug 18 2021, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>> On Aug 18 2021, Arthur Miller wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I picking on it, I know that most of distributions do so, but
>>> that is unfortunate practice against the nature of Emacs as application,
>>> since Emacs comes with sources as fully modifiable and extendable
>>> editor.
>>
>> Nothing prevents you from reading and modifying the lisp files.
> I don't want to add anything which hasn't been said by others already,
> but just point out that the way that emacs is packaged in debian is
> actually pretty nice and convenient for many users, especially in a
> multi-tenant setup.
I haven't seen a Debian since somewhere around 2001 or something, so I
really don't know how they do. But I think that many distros put elisp
in /usr/share which is not user modifiable location by default.

I am trying to see what Emacs uses by default choice in configure script
for lisp sources, but I am not sure I understand in which category are
those:

Installation directories:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]
  --exec-prefix=EPREFIX   install architecture-dependent files in EPREFIX
                          [PREFIX]

By default, `make install' will install all the files in
`/usr/local/bin', `/usr/local/lib' etc.  You can specify
an installation prefix other than `/usr/local' using `--prefix',
for instance `--prefix=$HOME'.

For better control, use the options below.

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]
  --libexecdir=DIR        program executables [EPREFIX/libexec]
  --sysconfdir=DIR        read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]
  --sharedstatedir=DIR    modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
  --localstatedir=DIR     modifiable single-machine data [PREFIX/var]
  --runstatedir=DIR       modifiable per-process data [LOCALSTATEDIR/run]
  --libdir=DIR            object code libraries [EPREFIX/lib]
  --includedir=DIR        C header files [PREFIX/include]
  --oldincludedir=DIR     C header files for non-gcc [/usr/include]
  --datarootdir=DIR       read-only arch.-independent data root [PREFIX/share]
  --datadir=DIR           read-only architecture-independent data [DATAROOTDIR]
  --infodir=DIR           info documentation [DATAROOTDIR/info]
  --localedir=DIR         locale-dependent data [DATAROOTDIR/locale]
  --mandir=DIR            man documentation [DATAROOTDIR/man]
  --docdir=DIR            documentation root [DATAROOTDIR/doc/emacs]
  --htmldir=DIR           html documentation [DOCDIR]
  --dvidir=DIR            dvi documentation [DOCDIR]
  --pdfdir=DIR            pdf documentation [DOCDIR]
  --psdir=DIR             ps documentation [DOCDIR]

> I'm actually aware of several friends that have emacs installed without
> the emacs-el package at all (which, to clarify, contains the actual
> elisp source files - not just the bytecompiled ones) and are perfectly
> happy about that. They are not fluent in elisp, so they treat those (as
> well as most of the configuration) as a black-box. I even did so myself
> for many years early on.
Me too, but after I learned some Elisp, I don't do that any more. How do
you do now when I are more fluent in Elisp?

> I definitely see the same concept being extended to AOT and being a net
> advantage in such cases.

A problem with Emacs is that, there are different cases for different
users, which sometimes even get orthogonal to each other so it can be
hard to make everyone happy att same time.