Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add a configure option for NATIVE_FULL_AOT?
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 15:12:25 +0300

> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
> Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>,  wavexx@thregr.org,
>   schwab@linux-m68k.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 09:04:34 +0200
>
> So, of course users can modify the sources, but they would typically
> copy the *.el file to a private location (in their load-path) before
> doing so.

My problem is what happens after they do whatever it takes to make
those files modifiable, and actually modify them.  With JIT
native-compilation, everything still works the same, and the updated
*.eln files get written to the same eln-cache and used thereafter (and
even automatically reloaded inside the same session).  With AOT
compilation, things are not so simple, and I'm actually unsure what
would happen because we didn't actively investigate this method.  It
will probably work in many/most cases (otherwise we'd have bug
reports, I think), but we didn't scrutinize it nearly as well as the
JIT method.