Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 10:39:15 -0700

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 11:23 PM Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 05:32:09PM -0700, Aaron Jensen wrote:
> > On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 9:31 AM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't know if it's something funky with my machine or not but I've
> > > noticed some stutters with this patch. As in, it appears to miss
> > > paints. I'll type a character and won't see it until I type something
> > > else. Is it possible that this patch could cause that?
> >
> > This stopped, so maybe it was something funky. So far, today, things
> > feel pretty good from a latency perspective. I haven't measured
> > anything yet.
>
> It probably could, I've seen something similar when I was testing
> something or other. It will be bypassing the viewWillDraw code that
> forces a redisplay, but I think in theory we shouldn't need it with
> this code.
>
> Oh, I suppose that might break the live resizing. But we can work that
> out if so.

I've continued to use this and what I've noticed is that it's during
Zoom screen shares that stalls appear to happen. Zoom eats quite a bit
of CPU while screen sharing and Emacs will occasionally fail to paint
using this patch. When I'm not screen sharing I don't see the issue.
Even when I am, it's infrequent.

Aaron