Re: Should (buffer-list) ever return killed buffers?

From: Sergey Organov
Subject: Re: Should (buffer-list) ever return killed buffers?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 23:27:52 +0300

martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at> writes:

>>> I strongly suspect that the problem goes as follows:
>>> - buffer-list returns a list of buffers that are all live (i.e. no bug
>>>    there).
>
> I strongly doubt that.  For me the reason is that `buffer-list' runs
> FOR_EACH_TAIL_INTERNAL with third argument true which may quit.  The
> earlier mentioned "And how running from a timer could be involved?"
> should explain what happens then.

Well, after gathering all the advice in this thread, I've carefully
re-checked the issue, and I must take back my original claim that timer
is somehow involved. I was able to reproduce the issue by calling
desktop-clear directly without any timer.

I was confused because second call to desktop-clear succeeds, and I came
to wrong conclusions out of pure coincidence.

Overall, buffer-list doesn't seem to be guilty in this particular case.
It's desktop-clear that is buggy. I just checked that it indeed chokes
every time there is an indirect buffer in the buffer list after its
base buffer.

Thanks,
-- Sergey Organov