Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 13:21:48 -0700

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 12:27 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 22:21:34 +0300
> > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> > Cc: alan@idiocy.org, mituharu@math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > > emacs -Q
> > > No highlights: 5.47s (slower likely because i'm on master now instead
> > > of Alan's branch)
> > > With highlights: 9.4s
> > >
> > > So yes, a similar slowdown for me.
> >
> > So the mystery remains...

The mystery to me is how your computer has optimized those extra
calls. What's the result of this for you:

(let ((idx 0))
  (catch 'nth-elt
    (dolist (f face-new-frame-defaults)
      (when (equal 'line-number (car f)) (throw 'nth-elt idx))
      (setq idx (1+ idx)))
    nil))

I get 115.

Also, it just occurred to me that I'm using native-compilation. Are
you? I just tested without native comp and on emacs -Q I got:

7.3s w/o line numbers
8.2s w/ line numbers

> What about "emacs -Q -nw": do you see a similar slowdown when you turn
> on line numbers?

Similar, yes: 1.53s w/o line numbers and 2.12s with line numbers (this
was with native comp).