Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:04:37 -0700

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 5:00 PM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'll see if I can track down what makes such a big difference in my config.
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> Okay, so something interesting is going on here. It appears that
> performance on the scroll benchmark degrades as I load more packages.
>
> For example, with emacs -Q if I run the benchmark on xdisp.c I get
> 3.4s (no line numbers). If I then open an org file and require
> org/start org-mode, then kill that buffer and go back to xdisp.c I get
> at best 4.15s. That's a pretty big difference for just having loaded
> org, I think.

Ugh, actually I can't reproduce this anymore in emacs -Q, sorry for
the noise. I definitely see it in my own config -- as I remove org
related packages and configuration things speed up, but I've got to do
more work to narrow it down further to exactly what it is. Removing
all of my org related configuration dropped me from 7.57s to 5.3s in
the xdisp.c test... which obviously isn't an org file, so something
odd is still going on.