Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 17:00:03 -0700

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll see if I can track down what makes such a big difference in my config.

Hi Eli,

Okay, so something interesting is going on here. It appears that
performance on the scroll benchmark degrades as I load more packages.

For example, with emacs -Q if I run the benchmark on xdisp.c I get
3.4s (no line numbers). If I then open an org file and require
org/start org-mode, then kill that buffer and go back to xdisp.c I get
at best 4.15s. That's a pretty big difference for just having loaded
org, I think.

Is that expected?

Some other things I've found, starting at 11.98s w/ my config:

Disabling my theme: 10.95s
Disabling GCMH (I know you don't recommend this anyway, but it's
helped with some stutters): 8.55
Reverting to default font: 8.24