Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port

From: Aaron Jensen
Subject: Re: macOS metal rendering engine in mac port
Date: Sun, 23 May 2021 10:06:35 -0700

On Sun, May 23, 2021 at 9:13 AM Aaron Jensen <aaronjensen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using it and haven't seen any flickers. I'll continue using
> it and report back. I probably would have seen one by now.

So one important note, I'm selling my 5k2k giant monitor so it's boxed
up (if anyone is interested, email me :) ). I'm on a 24" 4k monitor
now running at 1920x1080 scaled, whereas before I was at 3008x1269.

So, this morning when I run the scroll-up-benchmark it does what the
macport did. That is, it looks like it hangs for a second, shows maybe
1 or two scrolls and then jumps to the bottom.

I get roughly 2.3s w/ line numbers and 1.16 without.

On the new surface-stuff branch, I get 4.7s w/ line numbers and 2.98s w/o.

And for Eli, just to be sure it's not my theme causing issues w/ line
numbers on Emacs 28 here's a comparison using the default Emacs theme:
5.45s w/ line numbers and 3.97s w/o

It's slower than my theme likely because my theme includes a much more
minimal mode-line (actually, it's a header-line with a nil mode-line).

Holding a letter test (line numbers on):

Emacs 27 rendering: 601 593 604 (avg 599)
Emacs 28 surface stuff branch: 589 595 595 (avg 593)

Those are likely just actually hitting the cap of my repeat rate and
the variation is because I'm just watching a stopwatch for the test.

Holding next line (line numbers on):

Emacs 27 rendering: 568 576 (avg 572)
Emacs 28 surface stuff branch: 378 386 (avg 382)

27 just about keeps up w/ key repeat rate I believe, whereas 28 is slower.

Just in terms of typing, I can't say I can feel a difference between
the two. They feel similar from my limited time typing on this
monitor.

Aaron