Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2021 21:09:15 +0000

Thanks for your detailed comments! I think I see what you mean, but I see a problem in your proposed solution:

And instead of

 (setq this-command (get this-command 'isearch-match-scroll))

isearch-pre-command-hook could contain the same code
that is currently duplicated in several commands:

 (setq isearch-just-started t)
 (goto-char (window-end))  ;; only this line needs to be
                           ;; replaced with (funcall jumpform)
 (isearch-repeat 'forward)

I'm not sure this would work, because it's not always (isearch-repeat 'forward). For example with M-v it would be 'backward, regardless of the current direction of the search. So I guess it means that another symbol property would be necessary.

With C-p it's not clear (to me) if it should depend on the current direction of the search or not. Should C-s C-p change the direction to a backward search, or move to previous line and restart a forward search?