Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 22:12:15 +0300

>>> With C-p it's not clear (to me) if it should depend on the current
>>> direction of the search or not.  Should C-s C-p change the direction to
>>> a backward search, or move to previous line and restart
>>> a forward search?
>>
>> The same question applies to scroll-up-command and scroll-down-command,
>> e.g. in a forward search using scroll-up-command should change
>> the direction?
>
> For scroll-up-command and scroll-down-command that would not make sense: it
> would mean that you start searching at window-end and search backward.

Surely it should search forward after moving to window-end.
But the question is: when the search direction was backward initially
before calling scroll-up-command, should it keep the same
backward direction, or should it change the direction to forward
(since internally it used the forward search after moving to window-end).