Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 20:10:19 +0000

Do I understand correctly that your remark is about the internal variable 'isearch-forward', and whether its value should change when using "fast forward/backward" searches? If so, would that make a difference in practice? IIUC it is changed by isearch-beginning-of-buffer and isearch-end-of-buffer.

isearch-beginning-of-buffer changes the direction to 'forward' because it makes no sense to keep it 'backward' - there are no matches before the first match.

But I agree that when the user called scroll-up-command then it makes more sense to change the direction to 'forward' to be able to navigate the matches forward from the top of the next screen (as opposed to keeping the backward direction to be able to quickly go back that is less useful).

Yes, but even if it the direction did not change, I don't see what difference it would make in practice. Because to repeat a search the user would have to type either C-s or C-r, thereby changing the direction anyway. Am I missing something?