Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2021 19:27:41 +0000

With C-p it's not clear (to me) if it should depend on the current direction of the search or not. Should C-s C-p change the direction to a backward search, or move to previous line and restart a forward search?

The same question applies to scroll-up-command and scroll-down-command, e.g. in a forward search using scroll-up-command should change the direction?

For scroll-up-command and scroll-down-command that would not make sense: it would mean that you start searching at window-end and search backward.

Surely it should search forward after moving to window-end. But the question is: when the search direction was backward initially before calling scroll-up-command, should it keep the same backward direction, or should it change the direction to forward (since internally it used the forward search after moving to window-end).

Do I understand correctly that your remark is about the internal variable 'isearch-forward', and whether its value should change when using "fast forward/backward" searches? If so, would that make a difference in practice? IIUC it is changed by isearch-beginning-of-buffer and isearch-end-of-buffer.