Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2021 00:16:06 +0200

On Mon, Apr 05, 2021 at 11:37:30PM +0300, Juri Linkov wrote:
1) Are there any option to move the cursor to the start of the candidate
after the search? I see that there is an isearch-other-end. But it is
not a custom but an internal variable. Now I am using a hook but it
seems a bit hacky.

As you see from the discussion, adding a defcustom makes little sense,
because this feature might be needed only occasionally, so better
to be bound to a special key, e.g. C-RET to exit and move to other-end,
S-RET to exit and mark the found string as a region.

Ok for me.

2) I want to disable wrapping and I see that there is an
`isearch-wrap-function` but it is a variable not a custom and it is not
documented in detail what is expected to be there.

isearch-wrap-function can't be a defcustom too, because it's impossible
to implement automatic wrapping by a wrap function.

Sorry I don't get this one, on yesterday you gave what was IMO the best
proposal. Provide 3 options for: disable wrapping, pause and just
wrap. Are these really so hard to provide?

* Any way if there is a reason for this; then I won't argue about that.

3) In general many of the customizable variables in isearch are defined
with defvar so it is difficult to distinguish between internal and user
exposed ones. Just to mention some examples:
isearch-push-state-function, isearch-filter-predicate, the hooks,

Most of these functions are intended to be modified by different modes
using add-function, so again there is nothing to customize here, sorry.

I use some of them as simple hooks. But again (go to *)