RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2021 02:22:11 +0000

> >FWIW, I can't imagine why someone would like that option.  I can see it
> >being useful *sometimes*, but I think it'd be harmful at least as often
> >as it is useful.
>
> Swiper provides this option and after trying it I found it very
> useful and some other users seems they do too.
>
> Specially when the idea is to select a word C-M-SPC after it is found is
> very handy. Another use case is when the word looks like my_var or
> my-var it requires M-b twice to go to the beginning and then select.
>
> In any case, if you think this option is not desirable for any reason,
> another alternative may be to add a command in the isearch map (bind to
> C-RET, or M-RET) to end the search and go to the other end... something
> like isearch-exit-go-other-end. This alternative is actually a bit more
> interesting; and maybe equivalent to pressing C-r before RET... but
> faster?

FWIW, Since 2006 `isearch+.el' provides something
similar, but which I think is maybe a bit more useful.

* Option `isearchp-set-region-flag' non-`nil' means
  automatically set the region around the last search
  target.

* `M-s M-SPC' toggles `isearchp-set-region-flag'
  during isearch.

* Command `isearchp-set-region-around-search-target'
  manually (anytime - not bound to a key by defaut)
  sets the region around the last search target.

Is it more useful to just go to the other end of the
search hit or to select the search hit?  Depends;
anyway, either allows for the other pretty easily.