Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2021 13:25:39 +0000

And it provides a few commands that isearch doesn't have: move to first/last match, move to first match above/below window, center current match in window.

Move to first/last match in isearch is bound to M-s M-< and M-s M->.

I forgot these two ones indeed, but M-< and M-> are more natural than M-s M-< and M-s M->.

You can also scroll without exiting an isearch (and use C-l, for example) if you set `isearch-allow-scroll' to non-`nil'.

That doesn't do what ctrlf does, even with isearch-allow-scroll set to t, the match doesn't change, whereas with ctrlf C-v and M-v change the match to the first one above/below the window.

Note that I'm not saying that ctrlf is superior to isearch, I'm only indicating what the differences between isearch and ctrlf are.