Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2021 22:38:39 -0400

> Swiper provides this option and after trying it I found it very
> useful and some other users seems they do too.

I strongly suspect that swiper does not provide *exactly* that option.
E.g. does Swiper's option also cause C-r foo RET to place point at the *end*
of "foo" rather than its beginning?

> Specially when the idea is to select a word C-M-SPC after it is found
> is very handy.  Another use case is when the word looks like my_var or
> my-var it requires M-b twice to go to the beginning and then select.

As I said I have no doubt that it's sometimes useful, but that's not
the question.

> In any case, if you think this option is not desirable for any reason,
> another alternative may be to add a command in the isearch map (bind to
> C-RET, or M-RET) to end the search and go to the other end... something
> like isearch-exit-go-other-end. This alternative is actually a bit more
> interesting; and maybe equivalent to pressing C-r before RET... but
> faster?

Yes, that sounds a lot more useful.

        Stefan