Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2021 23:37:30 +0300

> 1) Are there any option to move the cursor to the start of the candidate
> after the search? I see that there is an isearch-other-end. But it is
> not a custom but an internal variable. Now I am using a hook but it
> seems a bit hacky.

As you see from the discussion, adding a defcustom makes little sense,
because this feature might be needed only occasionally, so better
to be bound to a special key, e.g. C-RET to exit and move to other-end,
S-RET to exit and mark the found string as a region.

> 2) I want to disable wrapping and I see that there is an
> `isearch-wrap-function` but it is a variable not a custom and it is not
> documented in detail what is expected to be there.

isearch-wrap-function can't be a defcustom too, because it's impossible
to implement automatic wrapping by a wrap function.

> 3) In general many of the customizable variables in isearch are defined
> with defvar so it is difficult to distinguish between internal and user
> exposed ones. Just to mention some examples:
> isearch-push-state-function, isearch-filter-predicate, the hooks,

Most of these functions are intended to be modified by different modes
using add-function, so again there is nothing to customize here, sorry.