RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 18:41:17 +0000

> As the first step in this direction, we could try to get rid of the
> macro ‘with-isearch-suspended’.  It was a hackish solution to
> temporarily exit isearch before reading a string from the minibuffer.
>
> To be able to do the same in a nicer way, we need to turn isearch-mode
> into buffer-local. ...
> With buffer-local isearch-mode, there will be no need to exit
> isearch before switching to another buffer.

Maybe not, but `with-isearch-suspended' is much more general
than that use case.  It's not just about switching (temporarily)
to another buffer.  In particular, it's not just about pausing
to read some input, though that's by far the most common use.

It's about pausing Isearch temporarily for _any_ purpose.
And (my version) provides a catch for throwing to end a
subsidiary activity.

I use it for lots of things, including (a) non-modifying
actions on a hook invoked after visiting and highlighting
each search hit (in `isearch-update') and (b) recursive edits.