Re: Simple isearch concerns

From: Augusto Stoffel
Subject: Re: Simple isearch concerns
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 09:15:43 +0200

On Fri, 23 Apr 2021 at 01:24, Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net> wrote:

> Nice idea.  Like TAB typed in the minibuffer updates the Completions buffer,
> C-s typed in the isearch-edit-string minibuffer could update the matches
> in the searched buffer.

Do you think this feature could make it into isearch.el, or would make
more sense as an external package?  You can take a look at the git repo
linked in my previous message to get a sense of how the implementation
would look like.

In isearch.el itself, one would have to introduce a new macro
`(with-current-search-buffer ...)' and wrap the body of every relevant
interactive command in it (similar to the `isearch-mb--with-buffer'
advice in my package sketch).  Then there's also the case of commands
start or end a search, which need special treatment.

I'm not sure this can be made to work perfectly in every use case, or
not break some third party packages and user configurations.  It
certainly can be made to work well enough for those who find the normal
Isearch a bit too eccentric.