Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:58:14 +0200

> > And picking on 2-3 "ideologically impure" packages (out of several
> > thousands!) that are distributed on MELPA is counter-productive.
>
> We could turn this argument around and ask why the developers who
> maintain MELPA don't remove `2-3' packages that promote non-free
> software.

I sincerely hope it doesn't happen. Those packages might rely on
non-free software, but they are still packages that some users find
valuable or even vital, and that they would want to find somewhere
else if not available on Melpa. Removing them from Melpa would only
move the "problem".

Also, is the goal of the GNU project to deny users the right to run
the software they want or need? Or is it to give them a choice of free
options to replace non-free software?

Having those packages removed would make it more difficult to use
non-free software, but it would do nothing to improve the power of
free software.

> What came first, the GNU Emacs or the MELPA?

What does it have to do with the question?