Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Proposal for an Emacs User Survey
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 17:04:22 +0300

On 16.10.2020 16:45, Marcel Ventosa wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:17:16 +0300
Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> wrote:

Do you think the "mockery" is entirely without merit?

Yes, and I think mockery precludes understanding, particularly as we
are dealing with a thoughtful man and a well developed and time tested
philosophy, successfully put into practice against the odds.

Shutting our eyes to actual user behavior also precludes understanding.

ignore a project that has done a lot to popularize Emacs over the years.

I fail to understand the narrative that pushes popularity over all else.

Strawman.

What would be the use of making Emacs the most popular editor if it
discarded the philosophy that brought it about?

It doesn't.

And picking on 2-3 "ideologically impure" packages (out of several thousands!) that are distributed on MELPA is counter-productive.

I think it's both insulting to its developers, and stinks of thought
police. Far from the idea of user freedom I hope to expect from GNU and FSF.

You are conflating freedom, as in the freedom to do whatever you want,

I don't. But a certain freedom of thought, knowledge and discussion is necessary, as should be apparent to any educated individual.

I don't understand how refusing to draw attention to a repository that
recommends proprietary software turns anyone into the "thought police".

It's a *survey*! A survey is supposed to gather insight into what users do, and what they need. Not shape their behavior.

You can't be effective at affecting change anyway, if you don't know what's going on outside.

Further up the list, I read RMS suggesting mentioning MELPA with a
disclaimer and warning about its use.

That didn't seem to be the preferred option, in RMS's opinion.

In fact, one of the most worrying aspects of this survey idea, as I see
it, is the suggested use of non-free Javascript to implement it.

Didn't Philip show a prototype that didn't use JavaScript?

it is unfortunate how Emacs leadership does little to follow the
external, "unofficial" polls.

What do you mean by this?

I don't recall any single change in Emacs' behavior that resulted from an external poll or survey.